NEW engine, NO start :(

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by brandon, Sep 16, 2013.

1. brandon

brandon Member

I have a 2006 subaru Sti just got done with the machine work/build and cannot get the car started!

Here is a list of all the modifications

aem ems series 2
    full blown 340lph fuel pump
    Boosh 1000cc injectors (deatschwerks 1300cc's not installed yet)
    new block with darton sleeves
    OEM head gaskets
    arp head studs
    Wiseco pistons 8.9:1 Bore 99.5mm
    scat rods
    cosworth bearings
    refurbished heads
    new valves
    Kelford c cams
    Upgraded fuel lines
    Aeromotive top feed fuel rail
    aem 5 bar
    NGK iridium 1 step colder plugs
    precision 5858 turbo with a rotated set up
    full straight piped
    e85

Everything modification is the exact same as before i blew it up, only thing different is the bore size is now the standard bore 99.5

Since it sat for 7 months I drained the gas and put fresh e85 in. Just got done with the build and put the engine back in. Now my problem is its cranks over fine but I can't get to run. Some times it back fires. And 2 times it fired up, ran and idled for about 20 seconds smoothly then it died. Still after hours of trying to get it to start again close but nothing.

Full blown did the tune last and yes it was a ****y tune. was around 11-12 AFRs when cruising also the calibration looks like stair steps... not rounded off. but still started and ran before i blew it up.

Tonight i spent another 5 hours trying different things, DB performance tried messing with the tune and also tried another tune and still nothing, they told me it was ether the cam or crank position sensor. So installed new sensors, still wont run.

Checked the timing next, found one of the driver side cams was off by one tooth (but still should fire up and run like ****?) but fixed the timing and is on 100% still wont start.

Next checked to see if i was getting spark. checked cylinder 1 and found i was getting spark and the spark plug was super wet. Put a camera in that cylinder and found it was just soaked with fuel. Did a compression test in cylinder 1 and got 130.

Tried burning off the fuel in the cylinders by unplugging the fuel pump, still got some good back firing. Also tried some carb cleaner in the intake manifold still wont fire.

I have checked all the plugs everything is where they should be.

Looked on alldata to make sure the coil plug/wiring and injector wiring was plugged into the right spot and they were.

intake air temp was reading around 85 degrees as same was the coolant temp.

tested the e85, and tested 85%

2. strangefamous

strangefamous Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear. Sounds like a nightmare. I am willing to bet it is something so small and simple that you would never think of it but have you tried check the Idle Air control valve and gasket? Here is a sheet on it. Hope this helps you :(

Attached Files:

3. Ryze

Ryze Member

double check the timing. Cam sensor is located on the driver side intake cam. if its out of sync with the crank sensor car won't start no matter what you do.

Also check for spark, actually pull a coil and spark plug and set the electrode down on a ground and make sure its firing. If it is, check compression.

4. spudd

spudd Well-Known Member

Does it have 2 fuel lines going to the engine? They are easy to hook up reversed and it won't start if you do

strangefamous likes this.
  5. brandon

brandon Member

Just got my aem ems tested. Tested bad :/ $550 to fix the computer! Will throw it in this weekend!

spudd likes this.