2009 WRX - NF Build on E85

Discussion in 'FS: Cars, Motorcycles, Boats' started by ofspunk7, May 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ofspunk7

ofspunk7 Well-Known Member

For Sale – Original Owner - $25,000

2009 Subaru WRX Hatch (5-Door) SPT Package DGM (Dark Grey Metallic) - NF Built Engine on E85 @ 24PSI

73,XXX Miles

This car has been great to me. The only reason I am selling it is because I want to upgrade my car hobby disease and own a Daily Driver and a Project car. I could save my money to buy a project car… but that would be the responsible thing to do. So I am selling this WRX.

The OEM head gaskets in this car started to leak around 61K. Since I had to tear into the engine to fix the head gaskets I decided to beef up the engine internals. If you know Subarus then you know the issues Subaru internals can have once you start to modify the car. So I decided to build the engine. Prior to the build the car was running AMSoil full synthetic and being changed every 4k – 5k (it is a 25k oil) after the engine break-in period. When we pulled the engine the internals looked amazing. The AMSoil really was the right choice for the stock engine. Currently the car is running Rotella T-6 and being changed out every 2.5k miles. This is based on the suggestion of the engine builder NF Performance and family/friends that own built engines. I only run Purealator Pureone oil Filters.

This car is being sold with some extras. This is why the asking price is slightly above the KBB suggested price ($22k - $23K). As well you have the peace of mind knowing that I already fixed the dreaded Subaru Engine Failure problems that arise when you start to modify these cars.

Engine:
    Manley Pistons 99.75
    Manley Turbo Tuff I Beams
    ACL Race Bearings, Main and Connecting Rods
    ARP Head Gasket Studs
    GrimmSpeed Lightened Pulley
    Air pump Delete
    TGV Delete
    NF Built
    E85 Tune @ 24PSI

Extras:
    Winter Tires – 16 x 6.5 Steelies with General Altimax Tires (205/55 R16)
    - Subaru OEM Lug nuts
    - No TPMS
    Summer Tires – Gold Rota Grids 18 x 9.5 with Dunlop Star Specs (235/40 R18)
    - McGard Spline Drive Lugs & McGard Locking Lugs
    - No TPMS
    Subaru OEM Snowboard Rack with Inno Fairing
    1.5 cases of Rotella T6 Oil
    Weather Tech Mats, Front and Rear
    Valentine V1 Radar Detector Hardwired
    Random Subaru Gaskets, Bolts and Hardware I have collect over the years
    OEM Fuel Filter (new)

Exhaust:
    Turbo XS Steathback Downpipe
    Invidia Q300 Quad Tip Exhaust
    GrimmSpeed Exhaust Gaskets

Intake, Induction and Cooling:
    IPR TMIC (Top Mount Intercooler)
    Perrin Turbo Inlet
    K&N Drop In Air Filter
    Forge By-Pass Valve
    GrimmSpeed Electronic Boost Control Solenoid

Transmission:
    Exedy Stage 2 Clutch (put in @ 61K)
    COBB Dual Adjustable Short Shifter
    Kartboy 5MT Front Stay Bushings
    Kartboy Rear Stay Bushings
    TiC (Turn In Concepts) 06+ 5MT Linkage Bushings
    TiC Wide Pivot Bushings
    Anarchy Motive Shift Knob – Custom Powder Coating

Fuel:
    Walbro Fuel Pump
    930cc NF Modified Injectors
    Brakes:
    GrimmSpeed Master Cylinder Brace
    StopTech Street Bakes Pads

Suspension:
    Whiteline Adjustable Sways 24mm Front
    Whiteline Adjustable Sways 22mm Rear w/ Endlink Brace
    RalliTek HD Endlinks Front and Rear

Exterior:
    GrimmSpeed Tow Hook License Plate
    DDM Tuning HID Low Beams 35w 5K
    DDM Tuning HID Fog Lights 35w 3.5K
    Fog Lights added after purchase. I bypassed the Subaru OEM setup. Which now allows the driver to manually run the fogs via an illuminated switch and they will stay on when the high beams are turned on. The OEM setup turns the fogs off when the high beams are switched on.

Interior:
    SMY Cluster
    ProSport EVO Boost Gauge
    AEM UEGO Wideband
    Clarion Cx501 2-DIN CD/Bluetooth/USB Receiver
    Valentine V1 Radar Detector

Fluids and Car Care:
    Oil and Filter changed every 2.5K (at even intervals ex. 62500, 65000, 67500)
    Power Steering Fluid Flushed @ 72K
    New Transmission Fluid and Differential Fluid @ 50K
    Brake Fluid Flushed August 2013
    New Spark Plugs @61K
    New Engine Gaskets @ 61K
    New Water Pump and TBelt Kit @61K
    New Coolant / Radiator Flush @ 61K
    New Pulley Belts @ 61K
    Valve Job @61K

i-q78KMwc-X2.jpg i-36fBVsc-X2.jpg i-p7XctT5-X2.jpg i-HZMWQTd-X2.jpg i-tXcgZkJ-X2.jpg i-WFX24tg-X2.jpg i-F8sV45d-X2.jpg i-tvbjb7k-X2.jpg i-mDJVTgG-X2.jpg i-RXJRFVf-X2.jpg

2. ofspunk7

More photos

i-SQmhSp9-X2.jpg i-FfNLzpt-X2.jpg i-m7Bz2sg-X2.jpg i-9qLfj2h-X2.jpg i-F8sV45d-X2.jpg i-9n7cqQ8-X2.jpg i-GqR3dgD-X2.jpg i-LfWSBtx-X2.jpg i-DbnNfC3-X2.jpg i-pmnzN3d-X2.jpg

Nhibbs likes this.
  3. ofspunk7

4. JuStaWRX

JuStaWRX Well-Known Member

Beautiful car, and very well maintained! I'm sorry to see this go, but I am excited to see what's up next! Had timing been a little different I would be all over this! GLWS Derek!

ofspunk7 likes this.
  5. XD40

XD40 Active Member

Beautiful, any dyno #'s to help the sale?

6. Tash

Tash Well-Known Member

Lol engine build doesn't add value when you know where it came from???

It screams reliability to me, especially when someone is looking to modify...."oh hey I dont have to spend that extra 5k+ on the engine, cool"

7. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

What kind of a DD are you looking for?

8. kongzilla

kongzilla Well-Known Member

Keep it and make it your project car.

Buy new daily.

Problem solved.

souy07 likes this.
  9. ofspunk7

Not sure yet.

I am going to test drive a few things before I really make my choice. I have been looking at G35X, Mazda 3, N/A Subies... also things like a Honda Ridgeline, Ford Escape (I really love my 2012 Explorer) and Ford Edge.

10. ofspunk7

The WRX was going to be my DD, and I was saving for a project car. Still may do that if I don't get the right price. However since KBB jumped the value of my car, I thought I would put this out there. I have no problem keeping this car. But if I can get my project and a nice DD, I am going to take that opportunity. I want something that I can garage in the winter for a project car.

11. tehfuzz

tehfuzz Well-Known Member

THIS. :thumbup:

ofspunk7 likes this.
  12. ofspunk7

Give this car a good home (and maybe some suspension to reduce the wheel gap)

[​IMG]

13. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Nice car! GLWS
    I'm also curious what the new project will be. I kinda wish I had a V8 in my life.

If an engine build reduces value I would be happy to swap my "reliable" stock block!! ;) lol
    But seriously it's a well built engine from a trusted shop, I would say that's worth something to most people.

tehfuzz, ofspunk7, Tash and 1 other person like this.
  14. ofspunk7

Thanks. I am interested in picking up a 1st gen NA Miata. I have been setting money aside for one for a while now but have the opportunity to jump into a good setup if my WRX sells. I have access to a fully built, low miles, turbo changed Miata engine with supporting clutch, built tranny, built diff and axels. This setup is a family members, and it's build quality is very good. That swap would be phase one of the project and get me by while I saved for the Phase Two. Phase two would be an LS swap. If my WRX doesn't sell/bring a good price then I will continue to DD it until I can afford a Miata and slowly build from there. The setup I have access to is too good to pass up and I would love to have a project car that never sees salt/winter. I wouldn't mind owning something I can wrench on for 10 to 15 years.

Nhibbs and tehfuzz like this.
  15. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

Not a Miata!
    I know, I know they are an awesome platform, make great racing vehicles of all kinds, there is a huge following...
    Dude, it's a Miata!
    I hope if you sell this, it goes to a very good home.
    BTW, are your fog lights stock lights with different bulbs, or an aftermarket unit.

16. ofspunk7

:)

They are a stock bulb size. I picked up fog light housing off of Amazon (did not include the mounting screws). I picked up a plug and play HID kit from DDM Tuning for the fogs. However, when i got the kit and when I replaced one light due to a rock taking it out... i noticed that the clips were swapped. So I had to take them off the DDM kit and flip the pins around. Which was weird... i wasn't sure if Subaru did that because it was a base unit and didn't come with fogs (even though all the wiring is there), or if DDM just had the pins backwards both times. Anyways, we opted to by-pass the Subaru setup in the steering column and setup a illuminated fog light switch on the left side of the steering wheel where there was some good real estate.

17. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

V8 miata sounds like a great long term project!

18. ofspunk7

That is what I am hoping. I like the idea of something that I can wrench on over the winters and keep for years. My cousin has had his first gen for 14 years. I figured I can start to collect the necessary parts... guessing it will take a year or two (or three). The good news is that I have a family project car that is doing the LS swap now, and I hope to help wrench on it as much as possible to learn what/where my project will go/could go. In the mean time the current setup I want to try and pickup will more more than enough power to keep me happy for a few summers. It actually is quicker than my current WRX setup. So there will be lots of seat/track time required to get myself educated on a RWD setup. Also I have other things that will need work.... suspension, brakes, wheels, rubber and the millions of bushings and other things that can be improved for a track/street car. It's all a big hope... we will see what happens with this.

Nhibbs likes this.
  19. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

Man sounds like a formula for failure bro. V8 Miata, RWD, OMG you're gonna destroy the poor thing. When was the last time your road in a fast car? Let's keep it simple now, you have a lovely wife and daughter no need to jeopardize their future.

T_riggidy and TMF like this.
  20. Musashi

FYI: Miata's have baby size brakes lol

21. Musashi

Nice car, thanks for letting me drive it at BIR buddy. I know the car has been well taken cared of and the new owner will be very happy!

ofspunk7, 4drcivicmaster and tehfuzz like this.
  22. ofspunk7

Well what fun is a project car without a 3 year plan. ;)

T_riggidy likes this.
  23. Musashi

What fun, if you destroy something already great in the process. Tiny tires will not equate to fast or quick, only a into a sitting duck. If you must prevail then come spend a track day with me and I'll put you in my clients V8 and then you'll see why they are built that way. Putting a BIG O'V8 into a tiny JDM body will only cause the car to lose all of it's qualities including agility, balance and simplicity. A lot of people's projects fail because they have no sense of reality and are too focused on proving something to the world. Only on IE does Speed, fear, money and logic seem to no longer exist. LOL

24. ofspunk7

I am happy to speak with you about this in our FB chat we have going today... but a tidbit of information. A LS Block weights 50lbs more than a stock 1.6. So balance isn't as big of a factor as you would think. Again.... I don't own the car yet... however I hope to correct that statement after this weekend. I have plenty of time to get some miles under my belt and make an educated decision. Just as anyone new to a car/platform... your ideas and goals change with time. I want to start with a platform and go from there. It just so happens that this platform is exactly what I am looking for. I have ideas on where it could go, but I plan to take my time and do everything right. This car has been done right, and I don't plan to cut any corners or rush into anything unknown. As well I have family that have been working on 1st gens for 14+ years. So I have someone to slap me around if stupid ideas arise.

T_riggidy and Nhibbs like this.
  25. Musashi

I know you're a smart guy and you'll fugue it out. Solid weight isn't as much of a concern as moving weight from the increased power. That will cause the biggest imbalance.

26. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

The voice of reason and logic has spoken!

I have to agree with Musashi...putting that much power in that small of a chassis (esp with small tires and brakes...even when upgraded) is laughable on the track. A guy has a V8 miata that autox's once in a while, but his times are not fast to say the least. It all depends on what you want though - a V8 miata could be a fun project and will turn plenty of heads when a little Miata come rumbling by.

In any case, glws on the car! Sorry to take this off topic.

T_riggidy and ofspunk7 like this.
  27. Nuke

Nuke Well-Known Member

lol he'll have to learn the hard way

28. ofspunk7

Sale Pending.

BroCo and JuStaWRX like this.
  29. T_riggidy

T_riggidy BANNED

Everyone watch, props to you if you do the v8 swap seems like one wicked ride that I'll be jealous of!

30. Musashi

If you go the V8 route with Felipe Massa's Miata you'll pretty much have destroyed his whole concept and you'll have to start all over again anyway. So why not just get something that has less mods and reduce the loss and the pain of abomination.

31. Musashi

That video shows the difference between a beast vs a monster.

T_riggidy likes this.
  32. ofspunk7

Chong stop worrying about a idea that I have no money for. There is a reason why I said years. I plan to drive that car as is and learn it. Don't worry.

I hope to own two new cars by mid next week. :cool:

Nhibbs and T_riggidy like this.
  33. ofspunk7

Well I say new.... But between the two of them they are 32 - 33 years old.... But new to me lol

34. Zero

Zero Well-Known Member

Hey dudes. This thread amused me. Put some 275 hoosiers and 11" brakes on a Miata and tell me if it sticks and stops.

Here is some reading:

http://flyinmiata.com/V8/

"Does it handle? Well, the first time we took one autocrossing, we set FTD with it - by a margin of nearly 4 seconds. We've destroyed our own lap records around our local track, outrunning purpose-built race Miatas with a street-oriented V8 Miata. Yeah, it handles."

Meh.

35. Musashi

All that for 3.8 seconds lol. You'll need deep pockets if you want to make waves.

36. Ctracey218

Ctracey218 Playpen Wrangler Staff Member

Nice car

PaulasaurusREX likes this.
  37. ofspunk7

You should drive it sometime... Although sources tell me that you better drive it soon because I hear that someone is taking her from me this weekend.

:coffee:

38. dang0

dang0 Well-Known Member

F'around man. I'll miss your ride in the Depot corner.... Perhaps, your new DD will make up for it.

LawnMaster and ofspunk7 like this.
  39. ofspunk7

Yeah, the new ride will actually be a blue verion of your old car. And on nice days I will drive the Go Kart! That center piller space is going to look HUGE if the miata parks there.

40. Casey

Casey Member

i rode in this car once and the nf track day, alot of fun and very quick... out of my price range though :p

ofspunk7 likes this.
  41. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

One word on the V8 miata - DOIT. Good luck with project and DD.

Ctracey218 and ofspunk7 like this.
  42. kongzilla

why V8 when you can V10.

43. ofspunk7

lol

Well why not just V12?

On a serious note. The LS block fits in the engine bay and is only 50lbs more.

Ctracey218 likes this.
  44. Nhibbs

Nhibbs Well-Known Member

Just slightly higher CG but F/R balance is basically the same

ofspunk7 likes this.
  45. kongzilla

oooooh. yeah v12. I like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.