Recap on LOL PDX on 10/28...

Discussion in 'General Subaru Discussion' started by TMF, Oct 29, 2012.

1. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I went to my first PDX event at DCTC yesterday with the LOL (Land o' Lakes) chapter of SCCA and had an absolute blast! Talk about seat time...I'm used to autox where you get a max of ~8 minutes or so and don't leave 2nd gear. That was easily surpassed yesterday after the first 20 minute session :D

I owe a big thanks to Chong (Mushashi) for providing some instructions to me throughout the day. I was making improvements throughout the day and continued to get quicker. I'm looking forward to leaving my car stock for a while (crazy thought, I know) and working on my driving skills instead ;)

Otherwise, I it was good to see some familiar faces out there, put some faces with names from the forum, and meet some new people. It was especially fun to play a little "cat and mouse" with Matt (forgot your screen name) in the other AW 08 STi.

Can't wait for the next event!

-Jordan

Musashi likes this.
  2. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

And a few pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kongzilla, Medic_538 and Musashi like this.
  3. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

I'd like the record to show that mr. TMF was already doing quite well on his won in his brand new STI, smooth driving, fast and brasher. You were holding your own before I even got into the picture.

The course layout was in my opinion one of the best for comparing all the platforms strengths and weaknesses, FWD, AWD and RWD. A tight technical intermediate fast flowing course. I liked how the hairpin leads you right into two chicanes tightening up one after the other going uphill. The last left hand (turn 8) coming from the fast straight (passing zone) with it's bump making a lot of people nervous and not wanting to go WOT and braking really late cause it was unsettling their cars. And my favorite section was the Road Construction section. If you've ever wondered what it would be like to be flying thru one of these this would of been the perfect example. DCTC is reconstructing some of the corners so we had to cone off a bunch of these sections. I found it to be a lot of fun and made things even more interesting as I was showing some of my AWD students how to get the backend to rotate to get thru this section very fast. Often times we'd be literally 1-2" away from these cones, never did we hit them though.

All too often I see STI owner's push their cars too hard and impatiently creating unnecessary understeer. TMF showed me just how mature of a driver he really was, keeping his driving clean, smooth and focusing on what's coming up ahead. After I introducing a +2.5 green pill substance called "confidence" TMF started to increase his speed, pace and sharpness to a point where he was starting to become uncomfortable. Gaining ground on the other drivers where he had struggled a bit in the earlier sessions and passing them with easy at this point. And that's when I made the decision to cut his session 5 mins short to reset and level set him fearing the inevitable.

As an instructor one of our biggest fears is seeing an inexperienced competent student accelerate in training only to find themselves in big trouble down the road. They are in our opinion the next most dangerous drivers on the track next to ourselves.

This was the only event I've seen where we had drivers from Autox, RR, Drifting and Rally.

The only other thing that would've made this event better would've been a bit warmer temps, but despite the cold we all had a blast, this was the best way to end the season. Many thanks to the organizers and participants for making this happen.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
    TMF likes this.
  4. Musashi

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

^^thanks chong! I definitely appreciate the instruction and appreciated when we took a "breather" after those hot laps.

Musashi likes this.
  6. paragonbiker

paragonbiker Member

Hey that little yellow blurp in the 2nd picture above is me! Was such a fun event being as it was my first PDX event as well. Well worth the money and the instructors really know what they're doing!

Musashi likes this.
  7. Musashi

You're welcome! It was a lot of fun. Both you and Buddy did great out there. I also met someone else out there in a new body maroon Impreza, he did great as well. (One of my favorite training vehicles) I was very pleased and impressed by all your driving.

TMF I think buddy told me you scared him. :facepalm:

8. xluben

xluben Well-Known Member

I wish I would have come to this :(

9. needboxer

needboxer Well-Known Member

Hey Musashi, I was the guy with the maroon Impreza, I can't believe how much fun it was. I'm absolutely going back again next year, hopefully with some better tires (really shredded those yoko avid envigors, hahahahha) Everyone was fun to talk to it was great to get out a learn how to drive :) Learning from your instruction was incredible! Thanks again!

Musashi likes this.
  10. Musashi

Ben honestly I don't think you would've had any fun pal. :uhhuh:

11. Musashi

That's fantastic, I'm really glad we met. I honestly do enjoy driving cars like your a ton. If you're planning on next season and would like some advice I'd suggest keeping those tires or replacing them with similar. What your vehicle lacks in power will be made up in beautiful body roll creating some fantastic rotations around DCTC. By increasing more tire grip you may notice more confidence in handling but will find slower speeds thru the turns due to the natural understeer.

By the way I never get tired of seeing happy smily faces on others!

12. jcn

jcn Active Member

Was a lot of fun! A really great training exercise. I anticipate this event continuing to grow in popularity. Well organized and a great turnout! Even though it was cold, I was happy to have something motorsport-related to do at the end of the season!

Musashi likes this.
  13. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

I had a blast at DCTC on Sunday. Got lucky and had Chong as a instructor again, I had a hard time seeing my line at the beginning of the day, But with Chongs help I soon started to see it. My biggest problem is I'm not confident enough to push my car hard in the corners even though I now my car will make it around I'm just not to that point yet. looks like it'll be new tires and more seat time for me next year.

Musashi likes this.
  14. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Good to see you out at the event...next time you'll have to bring out the Subaru so we can have some closer competition ;-)

15. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Yup, I think you'll see your confidence level continue to increase. Glad you decided to come out!

16. jcn

jcn Active Member

Totally! I think next year I will try and bring the Captain and the WRX so I can run both over the course of the day. It actually might be a good Nationals style test and tune for the WRX if I go D-stock next year. Track time is fun, but competition is more funner. :D

17. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Yup, I used to really enjoy autox test n tunes until the actual competition the next day and I'd remember how much fun the competition can be! It was fun to play some wheel to wheel cat and mouse though :)

18. Musashi

I didn't want to push you as much this time around as I felt it was best to allow you some time to grow in your car and get some personal experience. Next time we'll pick up the pace yet again! :devil: Be ready!

Buddy likes this.
  19. Buddy

Buddy Well-Known Member

I will be

20. 03subyR

03subyR Well-Known Member

The event looked pretty good. I was there as a spectator this time but next season I am all in.

21. Se7enrex

Se7enrex Well-Known Member

I WAS THERE! Haha that was great! Taras and I headed down and had a blast. I was in the 11' Silver BONE STOCK Sti. I will be doing that with my S14 Next year for sure!!!

22. Se7enrex

Se7enrex Well-Known Member

How about that corner in back right before the damn bump, holy crap you have to come in hot and brake at the second cone just slightly and hold like hell to get set up for the next turn

23. KA-T_240

KA-T_240 Well-Known Member

I'll likely have some DS parts for sale soon(Konis in donors, exhaust turn down, front sway bar and end links). If you decide to do that, let me know.

24. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Hmm, out of curiosity, did you ever hit the sound limit (100 db) with the exhaust turn down at an autox event? I bought and installed a turn down, solely for the purpose of autox and its a bit loud...one of the guys at this event thought I had an external wastegate lol. If the sway bars for the WRX fit the STi, I'd consider buying yours!

25. KA-T_240

I have never been anywhere that has Sound/DB limit, or even a meter during an auto-x. The car was really quiet, much quieter then my buddy's STi with a full exhuast on it. Many of the D-Stock Guys run turn downs, even at nationals. I left the turn down on all summer, put like 7k on the car with it and had no complaints. I think I have a video of an auto-x from a friend I can try to find.

I have a 2012 WRX, Sway bars and Endlinks will swap over to any 08+ STi. I have a 24mm Whiteline Front Sway Bar, and Kartboy F/R Endlinks.

26. jcn

jcn Active Member

That looks like Iowa pin turns. I already have those exact RTA parts on the DS car (turn down isn't installed right now).

TMF, Preston had the turn down all year on the WRX. He said it hit like 91 dB or so. That's all.

27. jcn

jcn Active Member

Also a reminder, you can touch front or rear (but not both at the same time) endlinks for stock class.

28. KA-T_240

Yup, that is correct. You save about $30 bucks buying the front and rear endlinks as a combo, so it made sense to buy the combo.

29. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Yup, I knew that...can only touch one sway bar and endlinks at a time.Gotta love the autox rules!

30. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

That's good to know. I'm thinking the stock STi exhaust is slightly larger or has less resonators...because mine is pretty darn loud once I hit boost. I figure I'll just bring the stock axle back to the first event and I can always swap in the stock axle back if I go over the limit.

31. KA-T_240

I would hate trying to swap the stock muffler back on at an event.

32. jcn

jcn Active Member

You will not break sound limits locally with the turn down. The Captain is around 101 dB at redline.

Our turn down on the CR is like 91dB.
    When we had a single fart can it only got to 95dB or so.

You can have a friend download the sound meter app on their phone and test at 50 feet, but I'll bet it won't be higher than 92-3 dB.

33. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Hmm I see. Perhaps I will be ok.

I actually have a decibel meter app on my phone, but it only measures up to 90 db. :confused: I think it is limited by the mic on my phone though...

34. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

I had a custom muffler delete made, never had any issues with the sound limit with that set up. You should be fine with a muffler delete. Good amount of weight savings...

35. jcn

jcn Active Member

Then go to 60 feet and walk closer to the car until you hit 90dB. Then use mathz to figure out the dB at 50 feet.

36. Musashi

Fancy that. ;)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  37. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing! Its always interesting to watch others' lines, especially from a chasing perspective.

Looks like you were at idle in the last video :coffee: until you passed them. And it makes me wish that my Subaru didn't understeer so much!

Musashi likes this.
  38. Musashi

We should've stuck the GoPro on your car, then you could've seen how clean your driving was. Next time! :smoke:

I'm looking for the owner of the White Evo X, as he had a few GoPro's on his car and was following me when I made my awd power drift lol

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  39. arsenal741

arsenal741 Member

Hey Jordan,

This is Mat, nice pictures! I had to replace a CV joint after that weekend which was puking grease out. Passenger side either rubbed or heated up too much from DP and wastegate. Back on the road now. Not to bad for a late Oct PDX.

40. TMF

TMF Well-Known Member

Hey it was def a good time man . And yep, I I had to replace an axle on the he saabaru once upon time as well due to a torn boot.I def recommend using exhaust wrap on your dp to stop the heat. It's pretty cheap on Amazon and helps a lot. Hope to see the fellow AW some events next year!