Tire Shaving

Discussion in 'Modifications And Maintenance' started by gc8, Nov 6, 2012.

1. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

I blew a tire out this Summer leaving me with 3 good ones. I'm not sure on the tread depth on the 3 I have, but I know it was a very close call as to whether or not I could just slap a brand new 4th on their with no ill effects. I opted the safe route and decided against it and picked up some cheap tires from a member here.

Now, I was thinking I could pick up a new tire to get me back up to 4 and have the brand new one shaved down to match the tread depth of the other 3. Anyone have any experience with this? If so, any recommendations as to where to get this done?

2. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

3. Musashi

Musashi Well-Known Member

You can also check tiresdirect.net they'll shave your tires prior to shipping. I was in the market for shaving this summer and had no luck finding a local vendor. :(

4. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

The tire I'm looking for isn't stocked by tirerack or tiresdirect, so if anyone knows of a shop that would shave a tire for me...I'd love to hear about it.

5. idget

idget Want to pokéman? PM ShortytheFirefighter Staff Member

norms tires? At least they did 5-6 years ago.

Might try samaritan tire as well.

They might call it "truing a tire" rather than "shaving" though since that has a racing connotation

6. gc8

gc8 Well-Known Member

Those seem to be the same places I've found in my searching too.

Thanks!

7. retreif

retreif Well-Known Member

idget likes this.
  8. WRX1

WRX1 _ Staff Member

Norms is about the only place that does it anymore. I had to do one this spring. Ride kinda sucks for the first 100 miles or so until all the little cut marks wear away, but it is ok after that. When we did ours, we dropped it off one day and picked it up the next. Pretty simple and I think it was only $40-45 with rebalance.

Russ

9. MNGman

MNGman Well-Known Member

+1 for Justin @ Vision Speedworks. Great customer service. I purchased my winter tires from him. I didn't have to leave the driveway to have them mounted! I know he shaved a few tires for the autocrossers this year.

10. derp

derp Well-Known Member

Samaritan tire is the only place I trust for tire/wheel work.

They work with Eurowerks, and have handled many a stancetard's low pro/nice wheels/etc bs. I've been there many times and have never had a bad experience.